Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rice Necklace & A Tattoo?

Rice Necklace:
When I was a teenager reading my YM & Seventeen magazines I really wanted a "rice necklace": a grain of rice with something written on it, in a glass tube in a necklace format. The necklaces were featured in all the ads in the back of the magazine but you needed a credit card to order one so of course it was an impossibility at the time, but it got added to my Bucket List. Then, in 2001, I was at the Fringe Festival with some friends and there was a rick necklace stand! I got one made with my name on one side and Tyler's name on the other - not smart in retrospect as we'd only been dating a year, but luckily it worked out! I totally love it and it remains one of my most wear jewellery pieces today.

While my cremation necklace is nice, it isn't as fulfilling emotionally as I had hoped. So I had the inspiration to look into getting a rice necklace with Wentworth's name on it, and possibly Dexter's but I haven't decided which way I want to go with that yet. I was hoping to maybe get a lead on somewhere in Edmonton that I could get one (to save myself shipping and purchase delay) but worst case scenario I can always purchase one online.

Tattoo:
At Christmas time I had the opportunity to see Tyler's cousin Jen and her beautiful tattoo of her son (he's alive and well but it's still beautiful). Her hubby also has some nice tats and I got a bit of "ink frenzy" from them. I already have a small tattoo and always said that my next ones would be related to my kid(s) as they are one thing you are virtually guaranteed to never change your mind about, as love for your kids tends to be unconditional.

My original idea was to get a wing with Wentworth's name on my left shoulder blade; I want something fairly simple as I am a wimp and more detail equals more time and pain. I tried to google the image I had in my mind and was unsuccessful in finding anything that was quite right. In my research I saw some other ideas though that I am considering...


WING & HEART TAT: I like the wing shape/type of this tattoo (but not the rest of it, a little gothic for me).
 WHITE WINGS: I like the idea of coloring in the white.


STAR WITH NAME SWOOSH: I like the idea of having the star & then starting to list all the names of my boys, and having room for more later.

HEART & FEET: I just think this is adorable & cute.  
ABSTRACT BUTTERFLY: I love the little butterfly sillouettes and the abstract lines.

FLOWER & STARS: I LOVE the stars and lines of this one. The outside line shading looks so neat.
WRIST TATS: and then to be completely off track, I kind of like the idea of just doing his name on my wrist. It would be much more "in my face" so I'll definitely have to think this one through.

Thoughts?

Final thought, while I think I am doing pretty good, maybe I'm not doing as good as I thought? My interest in these two things demonstrates that I am still searching for something to fill the void. Or is it simply to commemorate him because I'm worried that I am forgetting? The first few days after I lost Wentworth, the pain was near unbearable and filled my every waking moment (unless I had a few distractions). Now it is more of a dull ache that I am vaguely aware of until something brings it to the surface. Tyler's same cousin Jen was due this month along with me and had her baby yesterday. I am very happy for her but when I re-read her announcement today I had a twinge of sadness. I guess that's just normal :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment