Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mommy Group Generousity

To keep the balance of positive/negative in check, I finally want to write about how wonderful my mommy group has been to us. I joined "Leduc Mommy Mingle" in August 2010 shortly after moving to Leduc. I've been an active member ever since and I joined as an Organizer in March/April.

I had a Christmas party scheduled for the day Wentworth was born, so I had announced a family emergency as the reason for cancelling it. My good friend and co-organizer Shannon immediately called to see what had happened, and once she found out she came to visit us in the hospital. The hospital had offered us a few options for Wentworth (burial/cremation coordinated by us or Let the hospital take care of it). I asked Shannon how much cremation costs (as a good friend of her's had passed away recently) and she had thought services etc had come to $1500. We were pretty sure we wanted cremation only with no service and Shannon told us to focus on what we wanted because she was going to start a donation drive within our group to help with the costs involved.

Well I was/am blown away by the support in all forms that I received. I got many texts, emails, cards and messages of sympathy and offering help in all kinds of ways . I was saddened and uplifted to have several ladies share their own personal stories of loss. A few girls got together and sent an edible arrangement of fruit. Several ladies sent food over including lasagnas, pot pies, soup, buns, deli meats & cheese, cookies and juice. Several ladies sent other items over including candles, Scentsy, treats/toys for Dexter our toddler, poems and ornaments.

Last but not least, was the overwhelming financial donation...I believe when the final tally was done it was close to $1500! Nearly half of our 50 person group had donate their hard earned money to show their support & love.

I'm hoping that once we are financially stable we will be able to literally pay forward this donation, but in the meantime I'll have to pay it forward in spirit and deed. We're so thankful for the kindness shown to us from my group and I feel very fortunate to be a part of this group :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment